It’s June and as we’re 6 months away until the end of the year, it had me thinking about the top books that I’ve read. And as I’m halfway through my 50 Book Pledge (I’ve only read 30 so far) I’ve decided to look back on my top 5/5 books. After writing out my list, it doesn’t seem that impressive but at least I started my year reading really great books.
1. The Dead in their Vaulted Arches by Alan Bradley
I’ve waited months for this book and it definitely met my expectations. Can’t wait for the next one in the series.
2. The Enchanted by Rene Denfeld
Loved the story from start to finish. It’s very deep but also a sad and beautiful piece of work.
3. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
A hilarious love story that had me laughing at all the right places.
4. The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
A YA classic that everyone should read.
5. The Museum of Extraordinary Things by Alice Hoffman
Based on true historical events, I absolutely loved the romance between the ‘human mermaid’ and the photographer.
6. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
The creepy black-and-white photos were chilling as were the monsters.
7. The Book of Flying by Keith Miller
A recommended read for storytellers and readers alike.
8. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Loved how the author creates her own world of seraphim and demons locked in a centuries old battle.
9. The Gates by John Connolly
A funny apocalyptic story about an unlikely hero with his trusty dog companion out to save the universe.
10. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
I loved how the story contained Russian elements. Can’t wait till the sequel comes out in paperback!
After looking at my list, it suddenly dawned on me that I’ve been reading a lot of YA books! Not that it surprises me as it’s been a great year for YA. What books made it on the top of your list this year?